Butternut Squash, Chickpea & Cashew Cream Curry
- Butternut squash, 4 cups peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Raw cashews, 1 cup for the cashew cream + ¼ cup toasted to use as a topper
- Chickpeas, 3 cups cooked
- Fresh coriander leaves, 1 cup chopped
- Yellow onion, 1 cup finely chopped (half a medium-sized onion)
- Passata aka strained tomatoes, ½ cup
- Garlic, 2 medium-sized cloves minced
- Ginger, 1 tbsp minced
- Curry powder, 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder, ½ tsp
- Cumin powder, ½ tsp
- Olive oil, 3 tbsp
- Salt, 2 tsp
- Soak 1 cup of cashews overnight, or boil them in 3 cups of water for 25-30 minutes. Drain the nuts once they’re soft. Using a high-speed blender or food processor, mix the cashews with 1/2 cup of water until smooth. You may have to use a spatula to scrape down the sides a few times, so that the nuts break down evenly. Set the cashew cream aside.
- In a large pot, saute the onion, garlic, and ginger in 3 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Stir frequently for 4-5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric powder, and cumin powder, along with 2 tsp of salt. Stir frequently for about 30 seconds, until the spices are lightly toasted and fragrant.
- Add the chopped squash, cooked chickpeas, passata, 1 cup of cashew cream and 4 cups of hot water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 35-40 minutes – until the squash is tender.
- Serve the curry with rice or quinoa. Top with fresh coriander and crunchy toasted cashews. Enjoy!