Creamy Roasted Carrot & Parsnip Soup with Crispy Chickpeas
- Carrots, 4 cups roughly chopped
- Parsnips, 4 cups roughly chopped (try to ensure that the carrot and parsnip pieces are the same size)
- Cooked chickpeas, 2 cups
- Yellow onion, 1.5 cups diced
- Garlic, 2 cloves minced
- Cumin powder, 1 tsp
- Flat-leaf parsley or coriander leaves, garnish
- White miso paste, 1/2 tbsp
- Salt, 1/2 tsp for the roasted veggies + ½ tsp for the sautéed onion/garlic + 1/4 tsp for chickpeas
- Olive oil, 1.5 tbsp for roasting the veggies + 1 tbsp for sautéing the onion + 2 tbsp for baking the chickpeas
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Water, 6 cups
1. Heat your oven to 375. Toss the chopped carrots and parsnips in 1.5 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tsp of salt, and lay the veggies over a large lined baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 35-minutes. Note: If you only have smaller baking sheets, use two sheets to roast the veggies, to ensure they are well spaced out and not overcrowded.
2. On another baking tray, add the cooked chickpeas, coated in 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tsp of cumin powder, and ½ tsp of salt. Bake for 30-minutes, until the chickpeas are crispy.
3. In a large pot, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and the diced onion. Season with ½ tsp of salt. Cook on medium heat, stirring regularly until the onion is translucent. Then add in the minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
4. Add the roasted carrots and parsnips to the pot, along with the miso paste and 6 cups of boiling water. Bring the soup to a boil, covered, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 3-4 minutes to let the miso dissolve.
5. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup OR add the soup mix to a standing blender in 2-3 stages depending on the size of your blender. Serve the creamy soup with crispy chickpeas and chopped parsley on top. Enjoy!