Grilled Fresh Fava Beans. A Whole-Food, Plant-Based Snack or Side Dish.
Bought some beautiful fresh Fava beans from Birri at Jean-Talon Market!
Grilled them until they were charred and tender, carefully turning them over for about 15-20 min until they were just right.
Seasoned them with salt, pinch of chili powder, lemon juice/zest and a little olive oil.
A simple, delicious and nutritious seasonal snack to enjoy!
Fava beans aka Broad beans are a fantastic source of protein, fiber-rich complex carbs, B Vitamins, iron, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. All podded beans and vegetables can be grilled! bringing out their natural sugars/ sweetness, and giving them extra flavor from the high-heat cooking process. I used a grill pan at home to prepare these, as I don’t have a BBQ, but you can certainly use a proper grill instead. Next time you’re BBQ’ing, throw some seasonal favas on the grill, as a change from veggie burgers or dogs!
- Fresh fava beans in the pod
- Lemon, juice and zest
- Olive oil
- Chili powder (I used Mexican Chili powder)
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- Simply wash the beans whole.
- Place them spaced out on your grill and cook until they are soft on the inside, and charred on the outside. Taste a bean to make sure it’s tender!
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the beans, and season with salt, cracked black pepper, and a pinch of chili powder.
- Zest the lemon and squeeze the fresh juice over the Favas – for acidity.