Lemon & Lime Popsicles. A Naturally Sweetened Summer Treat.
Ingredients: Two juicy lemons, three limes, water, Stevia or maple syrup to sweeten.
Squeeze the fresh lemons and limes into a container.
Add a touch of water to dilute the acidity slightly, while maintaining plenty of bright citrus flavor.
Note: The less water you add, the more citrusy flavour you will have! Adding too much water will cause the popsicles to melt quicker too.
Sweeten with Stevia, a natural plant-based product that has no sugar and is calorie-free powder – appropriate for those on low-glycemic diets. It does have a subtle yet distinct taste, but it is largely masked in this citrus-heavy recipe. Highly concentrated in sweetness, you only need a teaspoon or so of stevia for six popsicles. Otherwise, use 4-6 tablespoons of maple syrup to sweeten, another healthy option. Taste the mix before freezing to ensure the balance works for your palate, if too acidic, add a touch more water for example.
Pour the mix into your popsicle molds.
Freeze overnight or for at least 6 hours.
I also used this sweetened citrus mix to make ice-cubes! a flavorful way to naturally enhance your water.
The warm weather has arrived, which means popsicle season has begun! This simple, nutritious recipe offers a refreshing, and tasty treat to enjoy on a hot day. Composed of just a few healthy ingredients, you can feel good about serving your family and friends these homemade pops!
- Two large lemons
- Three limes
- Water, enough to dilute slightly
- Stevia or maple syrup to taste
- Squeeze the fresh citrus fruit into a spouted container (making it easier to pour into the popsicle molds)
- Dilute the mix slightly with a few tablespoons of water.
- Stir in your sweetener, allowing it to dissolve.
- Pour the mix into popsicle molds and freeze for 6-8 hours.
- Lemon and lime juice is packed with Vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, and bioflavonoid antioxidants.
- Commercial packaged popsicles are typically packed with processed ingredients and refined sugars. These homemade whole food pops are a healthy choice!