Spring Salad Starring ☞ Fresh Peas, Beans & Greens.
Ingredients: Watercress, arugula, pea shoots, blanched green string beans, yellow wax beans, sweet snap peas, flat-leaf parsley, sliced yellow beet and bartlett pear, sliced radish, chopped scallion/green onion tops, torn fresh mint, blanched fresh fava beans (peeled).
Simply tear the watercress leaves off the stalks.
De-pod the fava beans and steam in salted boiling water for approx 4 minutes until tender. Peel the shells off the beans to reveal their green colour.
Blanch the yellow wax beans in salted boiling water for 4 minute or so until tender.
Plunge in ice water to stop the cooking process, allowing the beans to maintain texture and colour.
Do the same with the green beans!
Top and tail the sweet snap peas and slice in half to reveal the gorgeous insides. Enjoy raw.
Thinly slice peeled a yellow beet and a bartlett pear on a mandoline. Squeeze over lemon juice to stop the oxidization/browning and give them a quick pickle affect!
Make the vinaigrette by whisking together: 2 tbsp olive oil, juice of 1 small lemon and 1 small orange, splash of white wine vinegar, good pinch of salt, cracked black pepper and 1 clove of organic minced garlic.
Combine the salad ingredients and toss together gently with your fingers.
Assemble the salad onto a plate and spoon over some of the vinaigrette.
This is a light and refreshing salad that is made up of a wide variety of colourful whole foods, offering a spectrum of nutrients, tastes and textures! like all salads, this is a versatile dish that can be made using whatever fresh crunchy seasonal green vegetables you have access to or enjoy. The watercress, scallions, and radish are now in seasonal in QC, the fava beans and pears were on sale, and the green beans and yellow wax beans looked fresh at my local grocery store. Stocking up on a range of vegetables and fruits allows you to put together more interesting salads and other plant-based dishes. These naturally delicious whole foods simply require a little care: washing, prepping, cooking and assembling!
– Watercress is a flavourful peppery plant that is packed with Vitamins C & A and calcium, and contains iron, B vitamins & amino acids. Traditionally it is used to treat digestive disorders & respiratory tract conditions.
– Sweet snap peas are a great source of vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K, B vitamins, and contains iron calcium and potassium. String beans are a good source of vitamin C, vitamin A, and contain calcium, iron, and fiber. Fava beans are a great source of protein, fiber, iron, and calcium.
– Pea shoots are rich in Vitamin C and A.vitamin C, A, iron, calcium, magnesium, Vitamin B6, and fiber.
– Fresh fava beans are a fantastic source of protein, iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, folate & fiber.
– Green string beans contain vitamin C, vitamin A, iron, calcium, magnesium, Vitamin B6, and fiber.
– Yellow wax beans (very similar to green string beans!) are a good source of Vitamin C, B Vitamins, iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and fiber.
– Arugula is packed with vitamin A, C, K, folate, calcium and iron, potassium and magnesium.