Fig, Nut and Pomegranate Molasses Bars.
A different take on the classic energy bar I typically make, featuring mineral-rich dried figs instead of dates! This recipe also includes pomegranate molasses – adding a bright, slightly tart note. Delicious and nutritionally-balanced, these bars offer whole (unprocessed) plant-based protein from the almonds, and omega-fat rich walnuts. Composed of a few nourishing ingredients, enjoy these bars as a healthy alternative to most of the store-bought items on the market. They make for a sweet snack, pre/post workout energy bar (or during – if training for long periods), or as a satisfying dessert!
Ingredients: (Makes 10 bars)
- 2 cups dried figs, soaked in water to soften
- 1 cup raw almonds (replace with sunflower seeds if allergic to almonds)
- 1 cup walnuts (replace with rolled oats or toasted buckwheat groats if allergic to walnuts)
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp Pomegranate molasses (CEDAR or CORTAS are the brands I use! Often found at ethnic markets, speciality food shops, and in the sauce section at some supermarkets like P.A in Montreal)
- Pinch of salt
- In a food processor, pulse the soaked figs (minus water) and pomegranate molasses until it forms a chunky paste.
- Add the almonds, walnuts, cacao, cinnamon and salt to the food processor – and mix until it all comes together.
- Press the mix into a deep plastic-wrap lined cake pan, using your hands.
- Place in the freezer for an hour to harden, before slicing into bars. Enjoy!
- Keep the bars stored in the fridge or freezer.
– Dried figs are a source of calcium iron, magnesium, potassium, vitamin K, B vitamins, and fiber.
– Walnuts are rich in heart-healthy unsaturated fats including omega 3&6 fatty acids, protein, iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and fiber.
– Almonds also provide protein, heart-healthy unsaturated fats, magnesium, iron, calcium, and fiber.
– Pomegranate molasses has half the sugars of maple syrup, serving as a lower glycemic sweetening option for those managing sugar intake. It does have a strong flavour – so a little goes a long way!