Cauliflower & Caper Salad with Parsley and Almonds.
Ingredients: Cauliflower, flat-leaf parsley, slivered almonds, lemon, olive oil, cumin, five spice, salt, cracked black pepper, and capers.
In a mixing bowl, coat the cauliflower with olive oil, cumin, five spice, salt, and cracked pepper. Toss together with your hands.
Lay the spiced cauliflower on a lined baking sheet. Roast for 30-40 minutes at 400, until it’s golden and tender. After 15 minutes of cooking, add the capers to the tray of cauliflower – to get crispy!
Combine the roasted cauliflower and capers with the chopped parsley, almonds, and a little lemon juice.
A true celebration of cauliflower, this nutritious and hearty side-dish is a satisfying addition to your lunch or dinner ‘bowls’. Enjoy it with a protein source like lentils or beans, grilled tofu/tempeh, quinoa, farro or buckwheat groats. Roasting cauliflower brings out its natural sweetness, which is delicious with the warming spices it’s coated in. The salty capers provides a burst of flavor, along with the fresh parsley, and bright lemon. The almonds provide crunchy texture, along with some healthy fats and protein. Make enough of each component, to assemble and enjoy for 3 days worth of meals!
- 1 medium head of cauliflower (or 2 small heads), chopped into florets
- 1 cup chopped flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4th cup Capers
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted in a dry skillet until golden
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp five spice powder (star anise, cloves, cinnamon, pepper, fennel seeds.)
- Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
1. Heat the oven to 400 F degrees. In a mixing bowl, coat the chopped cauliflower in olive oil, cumin, five spice, salt, and cracked pepper. Toss together with your hands.
2. Lay the spiced cauliflower around a lined baking sheet, and roast for 30-40 minutes – until tender and slightly caramelized.
3. After 15 minutes of cooking, add the capers to the tray, and toss with the cauliflower.
4. Build your salad! On a serving platter, combine the roasted cauliflower, chopped parsley, most of the almonds, and a squeeze of fresh lemon. Taste to adjust the seasoning – add more salt and cracked black pepper. Sprinkle over the rest of the crispy almonds, and a little lemon zest. Enjoy!
– Cauliflower is a low-glycemic vegetable (low sugar/starch) that is a source of vitamins C, K, B vitamins, potassium and fiber. Like all cruciferous vegetables, part of the Brassica family (broccoli, cabbage, bok choy etc.), cauliflower provides glucosinolates antioxidants with anti-inflammatory effects.
– Almonds are a source of protein, healthy unsaturated fats, iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, vitamin E, B vitamins, and fiber.
– Parsley is packed with vitamins, A, C, K, B vitamins, iron, magnesium, potassium, and fiber.