Dark Chocolate Dipped Almond-Stuffed Dates with Pistachio & Orange.
Sweet and sticky dates are nature’s ultimate candy! Wonderful on their own, and even more delicious when jazzed up like this. Stuffed with crunchy toasted almonds, dipped in slightly bitter dark chocolate, coated in nutty pistachios, bright orange zest, and sea salt – this plant-based recipe is rich in flavor and nutrients. Naturally ‘packaged’ in individual-sized portions, these stuffed dates are a small, yet satisfying treat – composed of wholesome ingredients. To me, it is perfectly healthy to enjoy a homemade plant-based dessert like this on occasion – as part of a balanced diet!
(Makes about 24 chocolate bites)
– 70% Dark chocolate, 2 bars (I used Green & Black’s brand of fair trade & organic chocolate)
– Natural almonds, 1/2 cup (dry toasted)
– Pitted dates, about 3 cups (400 grams)
– Orange, zest from 1 medium fruit (wash the skin well)
– Pistachios, 1/2 cup
– Sea salt, a tiny pinch
1. Toast the almonds in dry skillet for 30 seconds, or until aromatic. Set aside to cool.
2. Pulse the pistachios in a food processor, until they forms a chunky crumb. Set aside.
3. Stuff the pitted dates with the almonds. Set aside.
4. In a double burner, melt the dark chocolate. Using a fork, toss the almond-stuffed dates in the chocolate – to fully coat them. Space out the chocolate dipped dates onto a lined baking sheet.
5. Sprinkle the crushed pistachios, orange zest, and a little salt over the chocolate covered dates while they are still wet. Place in the fridge or freezer to set. Enjoy! Note: Keep these stored in the fridge or freezer.
- Almonds are a source of protein, healthy unsaturated fats, iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, and fiber.
- Dates are high in sugars, but also contain fiber – which helps the body regulate blood sugar. They are also a source of iron, magnesium, potassium, calcium, and B vitamins.
- Dark chocolate is certainly not a ‘health food’, however it does contain minerals, vitamins, fiber and protein. Given the quantities listed in this recipe, each stuffed date contains about 10 grams of dark chocolate, which is equivalent to about one square from a standard 100 gram chocolate bar.