Seasonal Spiced Cranberry Ketchup. A Healthy Homemade Condiment.
Ketchup can be made using different sweet fruits and vegetables, not only tomatoes! get creative with your condiments.
I seasoned the ‘ketchup’ with salt, chili powder & smoked paprika, cumin and cinnamon.
Cook the cranberries with just enough water to cover cover, along with the spices and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to low, and let the berries cook for 15-20 minutes, until they are soft and tender. Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool sightly before blending.
Puree the cooked cranberries until smooth.
Enjoy with roasted root vegetables like celeriac chips seen here!
– Fresh cranberries (organic is preferable being a thin skinned fruit)
– Chili powder
– Smoked paprika
– Maple syrup *If you prefer a sweeter ketchup
- In a large pot, lightly toast the spices and salt before adding in the cranberries.
- Pour in enough water only to cover the cranberries.
- Bring to a boil, covered, and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes, or until the berries are cooked down. Turn off the heat, and let then mixture cool before blending it smooth using a blender or food processor.
- Store in a glass jar or squeeze bottle. Enjoy!
-Making your own ketchup from ingredients is healthier than the conventional store-bought ketchup, which is typically made from high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, salt, spices, tomato concentrate, vinegar, and ‘flavouring’.
– Cranberries are packed with Vitamin C, E, K, manganese and fiber.