Spicy Sesame Tofu Seasoned with Shichimi Togarashi.
– Firm tofu (organic/GMO-free)
– Homemade DIY red curry paste, 2-3 tbsp (red chili/garlic/ginger/shallot/salt/lemongrass/kaffir lime/red miso)
– Braggs, 1/2 cup (lower sodium soy sauce)
– Maple syrup, 1/2 cup (minimally processed sweetener & local QC product)
– Toasted sesame oil, 3-5 drops (strong flavour)
– Shichimi togarashi
1. Once removing the tofu from the package, always rinse it off, as you would with canned beans.
2. Press the tofu in a clean dish towel, to remove any residual water. This allows the tofu to absorb more of the marinade.
3. Cut the tofu into triangles and marinate it overnight or for as long as possible, to impart plenty of flavour into the tofu.
4. Lay the triangles on a baking sheet and roast in the oven at 400 for 20 minutes or until crispy.
5. Garnish with Shichimi togarashi, a delicious spicy/sesame Japanese spice mix made from red chili pepper, orange peel, sesame seeds, Japanese pepper, ginger and nori. Enjoy!
– Commercial red curry paste contains shrimp paste, which I replace with red miso paste, that also has a deep umami fermented flavour. It is easy to make your own curry paste from scratch, simply by tossing the ingredients in a food processor or blender.
– Tofu is a good source of plant-based protein, with 1/4th block (one portion) containing 7 grams of protein. It is also a source of calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, selenium, and zinc.